-
Kenya's economy faces climate change risks: World Bank
-
Musk's SpaceX discloses filing for blockbuster IPO
-
Airbnb expands into hotels, cars, groceries
-
Opposition backlash as Macron's choice gets nod for central bank
-
Boss of Germany's Commerzbank cheered as she slams UniCredit advances
-
French presidential candidate Philippe targeted in embezzlement probe
-
UK inflation drops ahead of expected war-fuelled jump
-
Alibaba unveils new AI chip as Nvidia access remains stalled
-
Oil retreats, stocks rise on cautious Mideast war hopes
-
India issues heatwave warnings as fear of El Nino looms
-
UK climate advisers urge setting maximum working temperature
-
Stellantis signs Europe joint venture with China's Dongfeng
-
Japan to sell eels bred in captivity in 'world first'
-
Humpback whales make record swims between Australia and Brazil
-
DR Congo fishermen resort to trawling plastic waste
-
'Wiped out': Ukraine's bird lovers long for peaceful skies
-
Sky bridges, citizen science protect endangered Malaysia monkeys
-
Union calls strike at S. Korea chip giant Samsung Electronics
-
Asia stocks slide on inflation fears as yields surge
-
Help wanted: Australian conservation group seeks new koala rescue dog
-
Musk's empire as SpaceX counts down to Wall Street liftoff
-
SpaceX's IPO moonshot draws some doubters on Wall Street
-
US enforces law to crack down on sexual deepfakes
-
New York art auctions roar back with blockbuster sales
-
Taiwan author wins International Booker for 'slyly sophisticated' novel
-
Google unveils smart glasses, taking on Meta
-
Lost in Trump's climate boast: best-case scenario abandoned
-
Under Trump pressure, EU seeks deal to end trade standoff
-
Airbus seeks to cut peripheral expenses due to Mideast war
-
France encourages women to report rape in probes of star Bruel
-
Argentine researchers collect rodents for hantavirus tests
-
EU vows help for farmers hit by Iran war fertiliser price hikes
-
Race to find vaccines, treatments for Ebola strain behind outbreak
-
King Charles III bangs drum for Irish music, eyes hip-hop lesson
-
Oil dips, stocks mixed after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
King Charles III makes unannounced visit to N. Ireland
-
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
-
Beijing says China, US should work together to promote AI governance
-
Seabird habitats shrink as ocean heats up: study
-
Germany starts sales process for bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Europe-China spacecraft launches to study Earth's 'invisible armour'
-
Stellantis joins race to build mini-EVs for Europe
-
EU-China spacecraft takes off on mission to probe solar winds
-
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
-
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
-
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Fans of historic DC park wary of Trump plan to 'beautify' city
-
As bee population collapses, US apiarists fear research cuts
-
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
-
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
Samsung union says South Korea strike on hold 'until further notice'
Samsung Electronics workers' union said late Wednesday that a planned strike had been put on hold until further notice after negotiations with management resumed with the participation of Seoul's labour minister.
The company's management and workers' union had resumed talks earlier in the day in a last-ditch attempt to avert a strike.
The labour union at the world's top memory chipmaker had said it would begin a strike on Thursday after talks over bonuses broke down, raising concerns about potential disruption to semiconductor production.
But late Wednesday, it said the planned strike "will be put off until further notice", adding that it would put a tentative wage deal to a vote.
All members will participate in a vote on this year's tentative wage agreement, which will take place between May 23 and May 28, the union said.
Labour Minister Kim Young-hoon said the company's management and union reached a tentative agreement through voluntary negotiations, and thanked both parties for "holding fast to the thread of dialogue until the very end".
Samsung's management apologised for the "concern caused" by the dispute, vowing to "build a more mature and constructive labour-management relationship so that such a situation does not arise again".
The walkout was expected to dwarf a 2024 strike that drew about 6,000 workers, as anger flares among staff over how the company distributes its massive profits from an artificial intelligence-fuelled boom.
Samsung reported a roughly 750-percent jump in first-quarter operating profit year‑on‑year, while its market capitalisation topped $1 trillion for the first time in May.
The union had called for the scrapping of a bonus cap set at 50 percent of annual salaries and for 15 percent of operating profit to be allocated to bonuses.
According to the union's lawyer, around 50,500 workers were set to walk off production lines for 18 days from Thursday following the breakdown of negotiations with management.
In response, Samsung's management said the talks failed because "acceding to the labour union's excessive demands would risk undermining the fundamental principles of the company's management".
The standoff has raised concerns in South Korea, where semiconductors account for about 35 percent of exports and are a key pillar of the economy.
The presidential office had expressed "deep regret" over the collapse of talks earlier, urging both sides to continue negotiations given the strike's potential economic impact.
President Lee Jae Myung also told a cabinet meeting that collective labour action should remain within "certain limits".
Experts say even a partial halt in Samsung's operations could prove damaging -- though the union argues that production stoppages have already occurred in the past for reasons related to maintenance and equipment inspections.
The government could invoke emergency mediation powers to halt industrial action and trigger mediation if it is deemed a threat to the national economy.
- Limited impact? -
But Tom Hsu, an analyst at Taipei-based research firm TrendForce, said the potential impact of the strike, if it goes ahead, may be limited.
"Due to the high level of automation in front-end facilities, TrendForce expects Samsung's DRAM and NAND Flash production to remain at full capacity," he told AFP.
"Any potential impact from the strike is likely to be confined to non-memory business segments."
A Suwon court this week largely granted Samsung Electronics an injunction requiring staffing and operations to be maintained at normal levels during any walkout, to prevent potential damage to the company's safety-related and other facilities.
Kim Sung-hee, director of Workers' Institute for the Industrial and Labour Policy, said that while the strike could cause losses, "they are unlikely to be irreversible".
The strike, if it happens, does not mean it would "automatically trigger an economic crisis", he told AFP.
Samsung Electronics shares inched up 0.18 percent by the close in Seoul on Wednesday.
- AI boom -
Samsung is a major producer of chips used in everything from artificial intelligence to consumer electronics.
The company said this year it had begun mass production of next-generation high-bandwidth memory chips, HBM4, seen as a key component for scaling up the vast data centres needed for AI development.
The dispute has unfolded against the backdrop of an AI boom that is benefiting South Korean tech groups, boosting national growth and the stock market.
Both Samsung and its domestic rival SK hynix posted record profits in the first quarter, driven by global demand for AI chips.
Long staunchly anti-union, late founder Lee Byung-chul once vowed never to allow unions "until I have dirt over my eyes".
Samsung Electronics' first labour union was formed in the late 2010s.
C.Peyronnet--CPN