-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Stocks tread cautiously as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
STARTRADER Launches XAUUSD247, Extending Gold CFD Access Across the Full Week
-
Top India court orders new steps to protect threatened elephants
-
Drovix Launches In-House Multi-Asset Liquidity and Execution Stack for Sub-Millisecond Fills, Tighter Spreads
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
One person died and three were wounded after a sword-wielding attacker entered a high school in the town of Fagersta in central Sweden Friday, police said, adding the suspect had been arrested.
Local police chief Tommy Alriksson told journalists that one person had been found dead after police entered the school, having shot and arrested the assailant.
"Our current assessment of injuries is that there are three wounded people and one deceased," Alriksson told journalists, adding that two had been seriously wounded and a third had lighter injuries.
Alriksson said the arrested suspect was an 18-year-old man. Police were working on establishing a motive, but that they had no reason to believe there were multiple perpetrators, he added.
"It is a very serious and deeply shocking incident," Fagersta mayor Asa-Marta Sjostrom told reporters alongside Alriksson.
Regional healthcare director Jonas Cederberg told AFP earlier that two "seriously wounded" people had been admitted to hospital.
The two were boys between the ages of 12 and 17, and one of them was in emergency surgery though both were in a stable condition, the healthcare authority said on its website.
The Fagersta municipality said in a statement early Friday afternoon that "an assailant armed with a sword has entered Brinellskolan and wounded several people".
Police said they had received reports of the attack just after 2:00 pm (1200 GMT).
Students, just back from their summer holidays, were in lockdown at the school and several other nearby schools for more than three hours before being let out.
Swedish broadcaster SVT reported that the perpetrator had a previous assault conviction and wore a helmet and carried a sword -- reminiscent of an October 2015 school attack in the western town of Trollhattan in which a sword-wielding 21-year-old killed three people in a racially motivated attack.
On that occasion the attacker wore black clothes, a Darth Vader-like mask and a German World War II helmet.
- First day of school -
Images on public broadcaster SVT on Friday showed multiple ambulances and police cars parked outside the school as well as a police helicopter.
The school has around 450 students, in a town of around 12,000 inhabitants.
Nellie Strandberg, a 16-year-old student at the school, said she was on her way to the school's library when the assailant entered the school.
"We were just going to collect some things and get ready for Monday. Then I see I guy who's bloody all down his back," she told newspaper Dagens Nyheter.
"We asked what happened. My teachers didn't answer, they didn't want to say anything. Then my friend said somebody had a big knife," she added.
In May, the municipality announced that students at Brinellskolan had been sent home following a threat to the school.
A TikTok account reportedly belonging to the attacker was being investigated by police, according to media. The account has been taken down.
AFP was able to view it before it was taken down and it had several videos referencing school attacks. The last update showed a photo of a sword.
- 'Serious incident' -
Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson told AFP in a written statement that "a serious incident has taken place today at a school in Fagersta, just after the summer holidays."
"We do not yet know what lies behind the attack, but we do know that the police are working extremely intensively," Kristersson said.
Magdalena Andersson, leader of the opposition Social Democrats, lamented the "terrible news" from Fagersta, in a post on X.
"When violence takes place at a school, I know it impacts everyone in our country. All of Sweden stands with Fagersta in this difficult time."
Sweden has suffered several other high-profile attacks at educational institutions.
In February 2025, a 35-year-old man killed 10 people at an adult education centre in Orebro -- Sweden's worst mass shooting.
In March 2022, an 18-year-old student stabbed two teachers to death at a secondary school in the southern city of Malmo.
H.Cho--CPN